Monday, August 27, 2007

The First Day of School

Fortunately, the beginning of the school year increases the sanity of mothers everywhere. Unfortunately, it decreases the sanity of teachers everywhere.

Fortunately, I had a new cute outfit to wear today. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any dark socks that would match so I had to wear white socks . . . with black pants . . . and black shoes. Fortunately, no one could see my socks because my pants were too long! Unfortunately, I kept stepping on the back of my pants. Fortunately, they will probably shrink a little in the wash.

Fortunately, I'm doing pretty good with learning my new students' names. Unfortunately, I was thinking about the new kids' names so much, I called one of my old students the name of one of my new students!

Fortunately, I have several "teacher pleasers" in my class. Unfortunately, I also have some rambunctious young 'uns. Fortunately, they were so shocked when I said, "Gentlemen . . . chill out!" that they listened! Unfortunately, the shock of my phrases will probably wear off!

Fortunately, I actually want to go back to school tomorrow. Unfortunately, I can't guarantee this sentiment for the entire year!

Fortunately, my class is already better behaved than most of my class last year. Unfortunately . . . what am I thinking! There IS no "unfortunately" for this fact! How very fortunate for me that the fourth grade teachers knew I needed a good class to ensure my presence for a third year of teaching! And while we're on the fortunate side of things (which, by the way, dominated my day . . . woo hoo!!!) here's a few more things that don't have unfortunate sides!

Fortunately, I have smart kids that say "femur" when we are doing Mad Libs at the end of the day and need the name of a body part. (Of course, I had to explain what a femur was to the rest of the class, but hey, aren't teaching moments what it's all about?)

Fortunately, I have a class of students who understand that part of being respectful is taking care of the things in our classroom.

Fortunately, when I count down from five, the students are actually ready to listen--with their hands free, feet still, eyes on me, mouths closed, and ears ready--by the time I get to 1. In fact, they are usually back in their seats by the time I get that far. Here's to hoping it lasts all year long.

Fortunately, when I have to leave the room to run errands, I don't worry that I'll be able to hear my class all the way down the hall. I also don't worry that I'll have 10 kids standing watch at the door to warn the class when I'm coming back!

Fortunately, your first year of teaching only happens once! Three cheers for the second year!


*A note to my loyal readers and fellow Bloggers--the "fortunately, unfortunately" part of this came from a book. It's really a very dumb book, but entertaining in spite of it's dumbness. In fact, it's so dumb, it's funny. And yes, it is called "Fortunately." If you are interested, fortunately, I've included the link to Amazon so you can read more about it. Unfortunately, I don't have the book so you can't borrow it from me. Fortunately, you can buy it yourself. Unfortunately, that is more expensive than borrowing it from someone. Fortunately, it doesn't cost that much. Unfortunately, that's not including the cost of shipping. Fortunately, I have a sister that can get me free shipping from Amazon. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything else to add to this "fortunate" and "unfortunate" list. Fortunately, you don't have to have a continuous thought to really make this go on forever. Unfortunately, who really has the time to read "fortunate" and "unfortunate" events forever? Fortunately, there is probably at least one person who will read this entire thing. Unfortunately, there might only be one person who reads this whole thing. Fortunately, I'm okay with spending time being verbose in writing knowing that only one person will enjoy it--even if it is me! Unfortunately, I have to do school work and can't go on forever. Fortunately, I'm procrastinating. Unfortunately, my conscience is getting the better of me and I'm ending this. Of course, that could be fortunate for those reading this! ;-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fortunately, you mother knows that you have a conscience and will get back to work ASAP!

Suey said...

How fortunate I feel that I know how fortunate and unfortunate your first day of school was! I hope your year continues to go well!!

Patti said...

Fortunately, your big sister doesn't mind when you use her Amazon Prime account. Unfortunately, she doesn't have funds to use it herself right now.

Rach said...

Fortunately, your next older sister has time to kill and read the entire thing! Unfortunately, I have a canker on my tongue that hurt the whole time I was reading this.
Fortunately, I read that book at the Pedersen's house one morning before they took us to school. Unfortunately, the Pedersen's no longer live here.

PS Fortunately, Mom left a comment on your blog! Unfortunately, she never leaves comments on my blog!

Carrie said...

Isn't it fortunate that I'm not going to break the trend of "fortunate" comments to your blog. Unfortunately I am not creative today and don't think I can come up with anything else. I'm glad your first day of school went well and I think you are by far one of the most creative people I know. You made crazy shape bookmarks for your kids! I promise your birthday gift is coming. It's very very belated I know, but it's been difficult to find something perfect that you might not already have. Wait, where do I live? Okay, I need time to find it too. Take care, love ya.