Wednesday, September 2, 2009

This is Just to Say . . .

Perhaps I am becoming a cry baby like my sisters. I have said on more than one occasion that my mission broke me in the tear control department. Yesterday, the water works were tempted to burst yet again. Our school business partner decided that they wanted to donate a backpack full of school supplies to each and every student at the school. Seeing the enthusiasm, excitement, and sincere awe the students had at the generosity of this act was touching . . . and I almost cried when I allowed my kids to yell in the hall, just this one time, to yell thank you to all the people in the gym handing out the supplies.

Perhaps even better than that moment was coming back to class and having my students write thank you notes to our business partner. Here are a few of the highlights:

  • "P.S. I am writing this with the pencil you gave us."
  • "Just to let you know, I am so excited because I did not get to go school shopping this year."
  • "Since I couldn't go school shopping this year, you helped out A LOT!!"
  • "You guys could have left the backpack empty, but you guys put supplies in the backpack."
  • "This is my first time getting a backpack."
  • "The things you do for kids is so nice. I am so shocked! I can't wait to show my family."
  • "I am going to use the stuff until it is garbage."
  • "And by the way, thanks for the scissors. I can't take the tiny scissors any more!"
  • "I wish I could give you guys something."
It's comforting to know that even with all the concern about the economy, all the cuts and lay offs being made in various businesses, that there is still a genuine concern for children and people who make an effort to make sure they are taken care of. Our business partner also surprised all the teachers with a bag full of teacher stuff, too. And so, three cheers for our business partner! While my free stuff was cool, the greatest part of the day was seeing my students' eyes light up and the pure gratitude they expressed with their child-like innocence.

0 comments: